Sea to Summit, #1, 2011

2011

Now why did I sign up for this?!?  It's 8km longer than my last Event. 
Ok, so I was up for the challenge.  The elevation of 1.4km was un- imaginable but the the run, now that it's over was incredable. 

We were running though Conservation Parks, cris-crossing creeks and oodles of single tracks - my favourite.  It was the best!

Mind you the last 300m was the hardest.  I guess because my legs were exhausted but I did the most unforgivable thing ever ... I stopped.

Not that I had much of a choice.  You see, Mt.Lofty Summit where we were headed is a very popular place and to get to it there are stairs leading up to the road that we cross to make the final ascent. 

Thus, I had to stop on the step due to congestion.  But damn it felt good.  I could have set up house on that step.  It was the first time I had stopped in the whole Event. 

Starting was hard!  So much so I said to a fellow RunBuddy, who had couaght up to me," Go one with out me, save yourself..."

On approaching the finish line, I had a passing thought of making a run for it but no, I was STUFFED.

The drink of orange juice up the top was SO nice and after 30mins I felt fine.  Our car was parked about 1.5km away down the hill at Cleland.  I have to say that walking the distance really helped with recovering. 

The next day I felt great!  So much, that I have registered for Yurrebilla 56km Ultra Marathon, in 5 months time.  How weird is that - hehe.


2012
After leaving the car at Cleland we caught the private bus to Kingston Park, Brighton.  Ok, I'll admit that it was rather chilly, but before an Event, low temperatures is something I do my best to acknowledge.  "Think warm thoughts" is my philosophy.  Besides once running, it isn't long before I am warm.  However, if I feel cold while out on the Trails, I figure that I just need to push harder.

An extra 2km was added into this year's Sea to Summit, 'they' said it was due to the Road Works during the first few kms as it is through the suburbs.  Peronally I didn't notice the extra kms, I just lurve this Event.

No comments:

Post a Comment